top of page

Oleander – Is it harmful to us

Strangely enough, this incredibly toxic plant is a very common garden feature all around the world and is even found in school grounds.


Every part of this plant is toxic and can be lethal if ingested, particularly for children. Similarly to the Manchineel, Oleander can cause harm from smoke through burning, which too, can be lethal.


Cardiac glycosides reside inside the leaves, flowers and fruit of the Oleander plant. These parts of the plant are likely to cause cardiac arrest if ingested.

Ingestion can affect the gastrointestinal system, the heart, and the central nervous system.


While mild reactions include nausea, vomiting, excess salivation and abdominal pain, the impact on the nervous system is the most serious concern, with symptoms including tremors, seizures, collapses, and comas that can lead to death.

They may be pretty and colorful but there is nothing blasé or temperate about this popular plant.




2 views0 comments

Kommentarer


bottom of page