Thanks to our awesome trainer and SES volunteer, Donald, I now have a “Get Ready Guide” from Queensland Fire and Emergency Services. While I have gone over bushfires, there are three other likely natural disasters that I failed to think of.
Today’s topic: Thunderstorms.
With thunderstorms comes a variety of potential dangers. They can create damaging wind, hail, lightning, and heavy rainfall. We’re coming up on storm season (November – April) so remember to check the weather forecasts and warning frequently at http://www.bom.gov.au/qld/. They also have an app you can download.
You need to make appropriate precautions if a severe storm is expected to hit your area.
- Make sure your Emergency Plan is up-to-date and everyone in the home knows what to do in case a storm hits.
sure you r Emergency Kit is fully stocked.
- This should include a battery or manually powered radio.
- Make sure your Insurance is up-to-date and check coverage to your home and belongs in case of a severe storm.
your Yard clean of debris and other loose yard items (furniture, tools,
- This includes overhanging tree branches.
- Ensure your Roof and Gutters are clean and in good condition.
- Shelter or cover Vehicles.
When a severe storm warning is issued:
- Keep updated.
- Inform friends, family, and neighbours of the warning.
- Shelter and secure your animals.
- Secure outdoor furniture and gardening items.
- Move vehicles under shelter or securely cover with tarps/blankets.
- Disconnect all electrical items, aerials, and computer modems.
During the storm:
- Keep updated with your radio.
- Act on your Emergency Plan.
inside and away from windows, doors, and skylights.
at/in the strongest point of your house is your best option:
- Internal room
- Built-in wardrobe
- If you are outside, find solid, enclosed shelter
- If you are driving, pull over in an open area clear of trees, powerlines, and streams.
- Staying at/in the strongest point of your house is your best option:
You should also note that severe storms can also cause flash floods, which I’ll talk more about on Thursday.