With everyone having been home for the last few weeks, I’m sure many of you have ventured into your yards for the first time in a long time. I’m willing to bet some of you have also found some mushrooms in your yards too. However, I’m really hoping that none of you decided to eat any of those mushrooms since Australia has poisonous mushrooms. Maybe my husband is right about everything here being out to get you.
Should you eat some wild mushroom and it turns out to be deadly, you could suffer from the three main side effects. Stomach problems is common—nausea, vomiting, cramps, diarrhea, etc. Hallucinations is a possibility and most mushrooms that cause hallucinations also have other side effects as well, including but not limited to muscle weakness, headache, rapid heart rate, and confusion. The worst of the three main side effects is liver failure, which can lead to death.
If you think you or someone you know has eaten a poisonous mushroom, call the Queensland Poisons Information Centre as soon as possible. Do not wait for symptoms to start showing. Call immediately.
HOWEVER, is someone is not breathing, collapsed, having a fit, or going into anaphylactic shock, skip the poisons information center and call triple zero (000) for an ambulance immediately.
Most reported cases of fungi poisoning are from curious children finding mushrooms in gardens at home. Please remove these mushrooms from your garden or yard as soon as you are aware of them and teach your children not to put stray fungi in their mouths. You should never eat a mushroom you did not get from a reputable source such as the grocery store. And lastly, mushrooms should not be consumed for the purpose of experiencing hallucinations as you are very likely to experience gastrointestinal problems and/or liver failure which could lead to death.
Please ensure your backyard is safe for you and your family.
Information: Better Health Victoria: https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/healthyliving/fungi-poisoning
Queensland Poisons Poisons Phone – 13 11 26