Everyone has stress—stress from work, school, family, friends; we even get stress from our favorite hobbies. Some stressors cause more stress than others, but that really depends on the person. Stress has various effects on your emotions (anxiety, anger, sadness), behaviours (bad habits, insomnia, accident prone), and thoughts (poor concentration, forgetfulness, hopelessness). However, it doesn’t just effect your mental and emotional states, your heartbeat, breathing rate, and blood pressure go up which can cause physical illnesses when prolonged. If left untreated, stress can also develop into depression and anxiety disorders such as panic disorder, phobias, PTSD, OCD, and others.
So here are a few tips to dealing with every day stress:
- Exercise regularly –Hey, I will be the first to say “Ugh!” to this, but exercising relieves tension and helps the mind relax. This is especially true if you have a routine of exercising.
- Relax – Speaking of relaxing, do some meditation, do some breathing exercises, or something else to help clear your mind and ease some of that stress.
- Develop a healthy diet – It’s like the world doesn’t want us to have those cookies and burgers. Anyway, all that junk food can worsen stress symptoms, and you know you feel guilty just eating the stuff, adding to the stress.
- Sleep – We’re going to talk about all the “cliché” health stuff. When you’re tired, you get moody and little things bother you or you make mistakes and all that will definitely boost your stress. When you have a healthy sleeping schedule (getting 6-8 hours of sleep, getting up and going to bed at the same times every day) your life is generally better.
- Engage other people – It could be one of the last things you want to do when stressed, but talking it out with someone can help relieve the stress and reveal possible solutions. Even if you don’t talk about your problems, being with supportive people can help improve your mood and help prevent you from destroying your social life.
While these are at the top of almost every list for dealing with stress, there are also other tips such as indulging in your hobby/favorite pass times and avoiding unnecessary conflict. In general, you will meet with stress in your life at some point, but living your best healthy life will give you the best chance to overcome it.