Cooking Adventures

Not long ago, my husband and I had a cooking adventure. By adventure, I mean, we tried to fry some onions in oil too hot and smoked ourselves out of our house. Everyone’s fine and no one got hurt, but it was still a concerning situation at the time. Cats were freaking out and vomiting, my husband was getting agitated and nervous (mostly because of the cats), and my throat was getting irritated. Fun lessons were learned that day and no one was seriously hurt.

While smoke inhalation from burning foods usually is a minor risk, had our cooking adventure gone much worse, smoke inhalation could’ve been a serious threat. It also helps that we didn’t burn anything that created toxic smoke. In a serious situation, you should seek medical attention immediately if smoke inhalation has occurred.

Symptoms of smoke inhalation include chest pains, coughing, headache, nausea, eye irritation, throat irritation, fainting, and burns to the airways. If left untreated, it can manifest life-long breathing problems and potentially respiratory failure. Most medical professionals will treat the irritated airways with medicines to ease breathing, pain, and other various symptoms. Antidote may also be included in case toxic fumes were inhaled.

As usual, there are ways to prevent or lower the risk of these kinds of things happening. Get smoke detectors; they will absolutely let you and all your neighbours know you botched dinner. Keep flammables away from open flames and turn off all appliances not in use. Never carry a burning pot or pan because you may make the situation worse or hurt yourself. Make sure you have a working fire extinguisher in your kitchen and that all residents know the best way to escape in case of a fire. If nervous or unsure at all about a fire, call emergency services.

No Comments Yet.

Leave a comment